The smell of dreams

I'd like to take this moment to talk about my dreams.

You know how everyone has that one childhood dream? That one dream where you close your eyes, and wish from the deepest parts of your heart, and go, "When I grow up, I wanna be a ______?" Well, I remember quite vividly what I wanted to be first. I remember strolling around Costco, seeing my favorite food at the time (Pizza) being tossed up and twirled around by an older guy. I tugged on my dad's shirt and went, "Dad, when I grow up, I wanna be a pizza twirler!"

Of course, those dreams of being a pizza twirler faded when I started getting into Disney movies and by then, I had learned about the beauty of wishing wells. I closed my eyes back then, and chanted this as I flipped my quarter into the pond: "I wish I could be a mermaid!"

Hey, don't look at me like that. I was a very realistic, very practical girl back then.

After a few more years of getting disappointed every time I woke up with legs instead of a finned tail, I finally declared at the back of my second grade notebook that I would be an author, and would 'publish an actual story some day'. This remains my biggest dream today. But, let's keep moving on, because I had a whole realm of dreams waiting to be realized.

My family relocated, and I became a bit more mature in my tastes, and after being given a homework assignment to draw what I wanted to be in a couple of years, I drew myself in a dress and a nurses cap. Now that dream, I've achieved. RN - check.

However, my mind remained undecided and as I started high school, I got sucked into crime shows like criminal minds, CSI, NCIS, Law and Order, and everything under the sun. I wanted to be a forensic scientist. I wanted to be a CSI. I wanted to be that person who autopsies dead people. (I know 'that person' is an ME, but that's not what I called it back then) I wanted to be a lawyer.

And that was the one that stuck for me. For three years I wanted to be a lawyer so badly. I wanted to study political science and then proceed to law. I wanted to defend the victims. I wanted a reason to yell at people.

... Until I wanted to become a nurse again.

... And then my love for writing was revived. While I was studying nursing. Talk about an existential crisis.

Where am I going with all of this? Hm. Maybe I just wanted to share with you my dreams and aspirations, show you what I was as a child. But I'm not really sure.

Maybe this was to prove to myself that there's so much more I need to accomplish. I can do so much more.

A girl with dreams that big has the capability to achieve at least most of them, right?

See you in the pizza parlors. *wink

Comments

Popular Posts