I get a B in originality.

And it becomes a C by stealing that line from Secondhand Serenade, everyone's favorite maoy band. 

I am a fanfiction writer and proud of it - I create new stories with borrowed characters, bring them back to life or kill them, give them different lives, imagine what could have happened if they had chosen to do something else, the list goes on and on.

I have written fanfiction for seven years. Seven wonderful years, of the best and worst critiquing that have molded me into becoming the writer I am now - a writer who knows what can make you cry, smile, or throw digital knives at me. I only boast because I both read reviews and am lucky enough to have a small group of real life friends who read my fics while I am right next to them or in the same room, and have either tried to strangle me, or started crying literal tears. My work has been stolen and posted on other sites - where I have successfully gotten them taken off. A story of mine has been translated into Russian, which I still read for kicks, even though I can't understand a word.

This hobby has awoken my passion - I want to create my own universe, where I can make my own characters, and make people cry with them.

Imagine my disappointment when I can't think of anything that sets me apart from other authors.

I am so used to using characters that already have their personalities and quirks made for me, that when I think of my own characters, I can't help but compare them to ready-made characters. I currently write little love stories on my blog Daily Lovebugs, and most of the main characters in my stories are either too Mary-Jane, too plain, or reincarnations of a myriad of characters.

I have to admit that even my favorite main characters on that blog, Quinn Gregory and Sawyer Neeman, are practically based off Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster from John Green's famous YA novel, The Fault in Our Stars. It's easier for me to write them; I just imagine they're Hazel and Gus and suddenly, my fingers are like lightning on the keyboard.

I haven't quite yet my niche outside of fanfiction. I don't know what I can write best outside of that. And I have this feeling that if I could somehow, let go of fanfiction so that I can forget writing other characters, and start focusing on my own.

But I can't. It's too difficult.

I can't let go of something that's been a part of my life for seven years. That's way too much of my time invested in something that I think I've become quite good in. But to accomplish something I've been dreaming of doing... It should be worth it.

And I know I can do it, I just hope that I pull it off. For the sake of dreams, I'll do it... Some day.

And when I do, I'll be sure to post that I aced originality.

Comments

Popular Posts