Four reasons why Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders should be renewed

Disclaimer: All photos were grabbed from Google; credits to the specific owners.
Disclaimer 2: All opinions are my own and do not express the views of the fandom as a whole; what I say here may not be agreed with by other fans.

Crime dramas have always been a huge part of my life; as long as there was a crime drama, I was always willing to give it a chance. Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders was no excuse. When I saw the previews for the first season of CMBB I was impressed, and waited at the edge of my seat for what would be one of my new favorite TV series.


I'm not going to lie; I was a fan of Daniel Henney (who plays Matt Simmons) way before the previews, thanks to various Korean Dramas and of course, Big Hero 6, and the same went for Gary Sinise (who plays Jack Garrett) as I was a huge fan of CSI: NY. Seeing these two in action specifically made me want to see CMBB and see what it was made of.

And I have not been disappointed yet.


As CMBB reaches the end of its second season, I'm finding that me tweeting and being limited to 140 characters per Tweet is not enough to give my complete thoughts about the series as a whole. In fact, I've been itching to write a blog post about this series for ages, and there's no better time for me to post this than now.

So, CBS, without further ado, I'd like to list my Top Four Reasons why CMBB should be renewed for a third season.

1. The cast and characters are amazing.


Words cannot express how much I love this team.

I'm not going to go into detail about each character individually, but I will tell you the one thing specifically that just gets me about this team. With the other crime dramas that I've watched, I've always been able to pick out one specific favorite. Maybe two, or three. I used to be so confused as to why I couldn't pick one specific character from CMBB as my favorite. There's loveable, knowledgeable Mae, muscly, smooth, Matt, witty and underappreciated Monty, father-like figure Jack, and sweet, intelligent Clara.

I realized that I can't pick one because all of them work so well as a team - and I can't help but love them all as one functioning unit. My heart goes out to this team, and I love them so much. Not knowing what happens to any of them would tear my heart up.

2. The cases (and places) are unique.


CMBB has quickly found different ways to portray different overseas cases in a variety of ways; whether the American is the victim, the perpetrator, or a mixture of the two on foreign soil, I've always been amazed at the creativity that basically brings the series to life in such a short amount of time. CMBB brings us to places we've never been before or even heard about.

Props to the amazing directors, producers and writers who are able to come up with these ideas. I expressed my love to all of you during my tweets, and here I am expressing them once again now. Thank you.

3. The development is amazing.


I remember that one of the main complaints I had about Season 1 was that we were seeing more cases and less characters. I wanted to know more about Mae Jarvis; I wanted to learn more about Monty's job, see him outside the office, and more about Matt's family and Clara's back story. So color me pleased when Season 2 came up and I got a whole plethora of knowledge.

I now know more about Jack's son. I know a bit more about Monty. I know about Matt's history with his grandmother. As I'm typing this, Mae Jarvis currently has her history on the line as she defends her badge. Clara is slowly being unwound as a character. I just love that I can see so much more of these characters, and a third season would only do so much more development for the characters and the series as a whole.

Particularly memorable scenes from this season?

Matt's tearful reunion with his grandmother. Jack and his son parting in Mexico. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

4. It provokes thought.


I will not pretend to ignore the fact that CMBB continuously provokes different thoughts with every episode. I will not turn a blind eye to concerns from other fans and non-fans alike, saying that CMBB promotes xenophobia. But what I will say is that it is opening the eyes of people who watch this series, and helping them understand more about other countries (as long as they are portrayed correctly) and cultures. It is not perfect - then again, what television series is? But it tries. And I think that that should account for something.

To make a long blog post short, I'm going to end writing about my thoughts soon. CMBB is amazing. It is one of my favorite series and it shows promise. If they're doing this well so far, I can only think of endless possibilities of what they could do with a third season.

Here's to hoping that we get one.


Comments

Popular Posts