#IntoxikaitingReads: Meant To Be (A book review)

I've decided to start posting book reviews on this blog, books that I have been showcasing on my Instagram. Once my phone's fixed, I will hopefully have a separate IG account for my books and reviews, which will be under the username @IntoxikaitingReads. See you there soon! 

Disclaimer: This review has plenty of spoilers; read with caution. It's also been quite a while since I've reviewed anything - especially without an editor. Oh well, guess I'll just have to get used to this.
I bought this book on a whim. A simple whim.
Here's the story - I went into National Bookstore SM, fully intent on buying Rainbow Rowell's Carry On, but realized that I didn't have enough money, since I needed to buy something else. Feeling a bit dejected, I decided to peruse the shelves for something a bit cheaper, and my eyes immediately found a book with a silhouette of Big Ben on the cover. I flipped the book around to see the summary on the back, and bam. It was love at first sight for me.

The summary promises a light, humorous read with a London setting. In my case, I found the female protagonist very relateable - clumsy and accident prone? That's me! A Shakespeare fan? Also me! A sucker who believed in fate, and has an inconsolable crush on a childhood friend? Me, me, me! I was sold on the first paragraph. And wouldn't you know - it was a whole hundred pesos cheaper than Carry On, and was very perfect for my budget.

And let's get another thing straight - Julia's foil, or the male protagonist, is described as a Class Clown. Oh, lord. I'm a sucker for the class clowns, or basically the 'Peter Pan' types. Weasley twins, Puck (Iron Fey series), and the list goes on and on. I bought it. Enough said. 

I dove into it the minute I could, and finished it in record time. Here's what I have to say about it.

The characters. 

The entire cast of characters was an interesting bunch; and my obvious favorite is Jason. Jason Lippincott is the aforementioned class clown, and Julia's claimed 'nemesis'. Based on what I got from the book, I wouldn't be surprised if he had ADHD as a child - he's that hyperactive. But the book progresses and we see more to him than meets the eye; his parents are separated, he's actually a pretty good singer, he has this poor look towards love and fate, and is actually a very nice guy, when he gets the chance to be one. Julia on the other hand, who I thought I would like since she's so like me, kind of irritated me at first. She's a know-it-all, has a GPA of 4, and basically cannot reign in her tendencies to correct others, especially when it's about topics she's passionate about. But she came to grow on me, in the end. I feel sorry for her, especially when her MTB (Meant to be) turns out to be a completely horrible douche. 

Mark was someone I thought would be a great guy. I fell in love with the story that Julia told, how she and Mark got married, and how he had gifted her with a gigantic Ziplock bag of yellow Starbursts. And then he showed up in London and praise the Lord I thought he would be a great guy. Then he turned out to be a douche; something Jason had been aware of the whole time. This actually also made me like Jason more, because he knew how head over heels Julia was over Mark, and didn't tell her about him yet, so as not to spoil her vision of a Prince Charming. Phoebe is someone I wish we could have seen more throughout the book - she's a loyal friend, and has a style I am totally jealous of. She's everything you could wish for in a friend, and gives Julia wonderful advice. She just wants her little 'Book Licker' of a friend to get a life and live. I wish I had a friend like that, especially since I have Julia tendencies. Sigh

The other characters, such as Sarah Finder, Chris, Mrs. Tennison, and Evie among others, are good additions, but nothing I could really write a whole half-paragraph about. Oh, well.

The plot and the verdict.

The plot, in a nutshell, is actually pretty original, if not cliche; a class trip to a foreign country turns into a search for true love (while enjoying the sights, of course). I've read books where it's been done in places like Paris, and... Wait. These kinds of books are always done in Paris. So I liked this once a lot. London. Just call me a weaboo for London. Anyway, back to the plot. Julia is paired up with Jason as a travel buddy throughout their trip to London - a person they must spend their free time with. Jason and Julia are obviously like water and oil, but by their first night, Jason ends up dragging Julia to a party. Julia gets drunk, and ends up meeting a whole plethora of men in her drunken state; and is saved by Jason. 

The next morning, she receives a text from 'Chris', apparently, someone she met at the party. She's immediately taken by this person, and pretends being someone she's not. Of course, this does not go unnoticed by Jason, and he offers her a deal - He'll help her find this 'Chris' person, and give her tips on how to text or message him properly, and she'll write most of the words for their reaction papers.

What follows is a myriad of events in London, and reading about their moments together is something I loved so. much. There were numerous times where I had to close the book and go 'Awww', both in that happy way and in that sad way. Jason and Julia's fights are so heart-wrenching that I would have burst into tears if I were in Julia's spot. Or either of them, for that matter. I hated their fights with a burning passion - but then again, one could also say that both of them needed a reality check, and a verbal slap to the face. 

If there's one negative thing I could say about the plot, it would be that I felt it went on so fast - especially during the last few chapters. Or maybe I'm just a fast reader. Anyway, the book's not even that long to begin with (290 pages), and I just wish I had more of Jason and Julia. People who don't believe in fate will actually love this story - Julia's shattered perception of fate in the end was actually refreshing. I was wondering when she'd stop prattling about it. Huff.

I also wish that there could have been more depth to Julia's character; either I missed a lot during my speed-reading, or that's just the way it was. I got more of Julia's love story than her actual personality, and while it was cute to read about, it was for this reason that I ended up liking Jason more. And Phoebe - I wish I had more of Phoebe. 

I have no problem with the cliched plot - mainly because I'm a sucker for cute little romances like this. It's my cup of tea, if you get the pun. All in all, I'd give it an 8/10, and recommend this for people who are looking for a quick, light read. 

Quotes: 

There's no Jake Ryan outside the church in Sixteen Candles, no Lloyd Dobler holding a stereo over his head. He's that asshole preppy guy from Pretty in Pink. - Julia Lichtenstein 

You know what your problem is, Book Licker? You don't know the word 'Fun'. Maybe because it wasn't in the SATs. -Jason Lippincott

Flirtation is no different from mounting a good argument or coming out ahead in a deal. It's manipulation, Julia. Good convincing. Hell, it's practically theater. - Jason Lippincott 

I don't care that Im shivering from my damp clothes and the cool wind. I don't are that I'm covered in so much mud I could build my own hut. I don't care that my hair has probably wound itself into such a tight knot that I may have to shave my head. I close my eyes and settle in, ready to lie here forever. - Julia Lichtenstein

I was just hoping that you'd realize that guys like me go with girls like you. - Jason Lippincott 

Jason: Do you care that I'm an obnoxious brat who thinks yellow Starbursts taste like lemon Pledge, doesn't believe in 'meant to be', and doesn't fit any of the qualities you're looking for in your mythical Mr. Right? Even though I call it soccer and not football, no matter how many times you correct me? Even though I'll be a pen user until the day I die? 
Julia: Well, someone once told me love isn't perfect - or predictable. 

--fin-- 

Hopefully, my next #IntoxikaitingReads will be Pittacus Lore's Fate of Ten or Rainbow Rowell's Carry On. Might even do reviews of books I've read eons ago, but would love to feature on my blog - Fangirl and Lola and the Boy Next Door come to mind.  

Comments

Popular Posts