Fictional Relationships I Envy

Warning: Spoiler Alert for the more well-known fandoms (HIMYM, AoS, Harry Potter, Naruto, etc.). You have been warned. 

Let's face it - I'm known for being a fangirl. I'm a geek, a nerd, whatever, but I've accepted that label, and will continue to accept it until the day I die.

Being raised on Disney movies, I was trained to be an independent female who didn't need no man, but I was also trained to wait in vain for my Prince Charming; waiting with extremely high standards of what 'True Love' would be like. This does not help my case at all, but why bother?

In that sense, I would like to introduce you to the fictional pairings I envy - whether it's an extremely good partnership/friendship/bromance, or a intense relationship with the heat of a thousand suns, or a married couple that stands the test of time. The list of couples are not in order (because I could never rank them), and will array from video game characters, anime, TV shows, and movies.

(Note: The pairings I include here are either canon (meaning they actually happened and are not a figment of one's imagination) or have substantial background - for friendships, there must be a lot of material surrounding that. So most of my OTPs are off the list. No matter!)

1. Ted Moseby and Robin Scherbatsky (How I Met Your Mother)
Oh, these two.
There was never a more genuine couple (in TV Shows) to me than there was with Robin and Ted. These two are amazing standalone characters - Ted, the epitome of a hopeless romantic, and Robin, every man's dream - not overly girly, while still not being overly manly. They had great chemistry right from the start, and finished off with a completely unexpected bang. I honestly thought that it wouldn't end the way it did. Despite nine seasons of a completely chaotic roller coaster, everything turns out all right in the end. And okay, I didn't exactly root for Robin once they broke up - more so when we meet Tracy, but after thinking about it, I realized that they really were meant for each other. What I really envy about these two was their ability to (attempt to) be as platonic as possible, despite Ted's obvious pining.

2. Uzumaki Naruto and Hyuga Hinata (Naruto)

I love edits like this. Aww. 
This is the couple that I almost, almost, almost gave up on. I was honestly expecting more of a Sakura-Sasuke thing (more on that, later, because I cannot leave those two out of this), only with less hate. Hinata has always loved Naruto, that fact is more concrete than anything else in the entire series. And Naruto is, well, Naruto. I swear, I would always get my hopes up that maybe Naruto would finally realize his feelings for Hinata (Say Amen if you were waiting for that moment after the fight with Pein/Deva Path/Nagato!), and I would always get disappointed. It came to the point where I felt so sorry for this soft-hearted girl that I just gave. up. In the end, all it took was a kidnapping, a mission that has the fate of the world in the balance, and a trip to the moon to make Naruto realize Hinata's presence in his life. My envy here stems from Hinata's resilience. It's not easy to love the same person for more than half of your life, especially when you're still young. She just... never gave up.

3. Leo Fitz and Jemma Simmons (Marvel's Agents of SHIELD) 

Nothing hurts me more than this couple. Nothing.
Being a recent fan of the television series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, I just recently discovered this couple in June 2015. There was nothing I didn't love immediately about this couple - they were lab partners, the literal story of being brainiacs and prodigies since like, forever, and ultimately, very, very platonic that it was infuriating. What I adore and envy about these two is their chemistry. (No science pun intended.) Whether you choose to love them as a romantic couple, or best friends, anything works. These two for me are a whole bunch of hurt, mainly because the creators and directors and writers of AoS thought it would be fun to throw a wrench in this couple's relationship every season finale. First season was a hit for Fitz by making him a vegetable, and second season was a hit for Simmons, who... 'disappeared' right after he asked her out to dinner. It's not like these two had enough troubles while straddling the line of platonic friendship and love. Thanks for making it harder for them. 

4. Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel (Tangled)

TURN TO YOUR LEFT, PUNZIE.
Ahhhh, this couple. I fell in love with these two the minute I saw Tangled. It was one of the more lighthearted couples Disney's put up, and one of my favorite pairings. What I envy about these two is the story they share - it's obviously a forced union, which turns into protectiveness, and suddenly new feelings just blossom into being. (Not a play on the flowers during the festival. I promise.) These two are ultimately my favorite Disney pair because they are so realistic. Realistic in the sense of their characters, of the wonderful mesh between innocence and well, not so innocent. The experience of one, and the naivety of the other, and the secrets that the two eventually share with each other. Honestly for me, though? My favorite scene between these is two is not the one pictured above, nor the 'You were my new dream' one, but the one where Eugene tells her his real name and Punzie's just like, "I like Eugene better." 

5. Uchiha Sasuke and Haruno Sakura (Naruto)

Disclaimer: Not edited, simply colored. This actually happened in the manga. (squee)
I will say this first to clear the air - I didn't believe in this couple at all. Sakura infuriated me because I knew there were better people for her than Sasuke, Sasuke infuriated me because I would swear that he was up to no good, and the two of them just made me rip my hair out when I was fourteen, because there was no way in hell they would ever end up together. That is, of course, until they ended up together. It was unlikely (for me), but when Kishi-sama ended the manga and pronounced them husband and wife, I could swear that it was meant to be. I envy this couple the same reason I envy Naruto and Hinata - Sakura's a pretty dedicated woman. Same as Hinata, it's not easy to love the same person for more than half your life... And it's even harder to do so when he's a criminal, out to set his life straight, and who probably has guilt worth a mountain and a half. What I also envy is that she achieved every fangirl's dream - ending up with the object of her affections. Although it turns out to be more than that (Sakura's character development is five stars, for me.), I still love their ending. Aww. 

6. Carl and Ellie Fredericksen (Up)

They were so happy together!!! //sobs// 
Well done, Pixar, for creating this couple to complete destroy our souls within ten minutes. When I was talking about FitzSimmons earlier, and how much they hurt me on a daily basis, Carl and Ellie just flat out demolished me in one go. Carl and Ellie painted the picture perfect couple - childhood friends turned lovers. She balanced him out the best way possible; her light, summery attitude making him a happier person all around, even throughout their downs. And I certainly don't blame Carl for turning into a grump when she died - heck, it probably felt as if all the sunshine was sucked away from him. Permanently. What I envy about this couple is that while they neglected to have a long time together, they made it up for quality, and ended up spending the rest of their lives with no regrets.

7. Shrek and Fiona (Shrek) 

This couple gave me hope.
Ahhh, Shrek. The entire movie franchise that made me snort over a million times for a million reasons. And let's toss some romance in there, ey? I'm not going to lie to you - the last time I saw any Shrek movie was probably eons ago, so the plot's hazy. What is clear as day to me, though, is the wonderful, funny, realistic relationship these two have, and how you can find beauty in everything - it's what's inside that counts. I envy them mainly for the reason that they are together. It's hard to have a relationship in a world where stereotypes can destroy, and wagging tongues can end relationships. These two fought through it admirably, bravely and wonderfully, which is reason to envy enough. Side note: I do consider Donkey and the Dragon as a wonderful couple, as well. :) 

8. Arthur and Molly Weasley (Harry Potter)

Who said gingers have no souls? 
Of course I had to include a pair from Harry Potter - this wouldn't be complete without one, for goodness' sake. But the dilemma for me was that as Harry Potter didn't mainly dwell on romance, I wasn't exactly given much romantic fodder to live on. Harry and Ginny might have made it on the list, but then I realized that the entire generation before them was a league in romance all it's own - and that's when I thought of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. When I think of the most loving, most caring place in the Harry Potter universe, I don't think of Hogwarts, I think of the Burrow - and that's mainly because of Molly and Arthur. It's not easy to raise seven children - six of them boys - and I'd like to think that it's the love and support they have between the two of them (which is, you guessed it, what I envy), that gives them enough strength to deal with the Weasley twins every day. Wait. I mean one of the twins. Oops. Note: Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks almost got this spot, but these two take the cake. 

9. Dimitri and Anastasia Romanov (Anastasia)

//THE INTENSITY//
If I knew what an OTP was when I was in elementary school, this probably would be it. I shipped this like crazy. Dimitri is hot, Anastasia is gorgeous, the two of them clearly had enough smoking energy that my younger self caught on to, and the lovely backstory behind the two is a precious gem. Can you imagine the high that Dimitri must have been on? He practically saves the life of royal blood, and ends up falling in love with the said royal blood? The lucky bastard! Anyhoo, the thing I envy about these two is the said delicious back story. You can never go wrong with connecting, coincidental paths. Because that's just too romantic.

10. Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster (The Fault in Our Stars) 

Another couple I cried over.
Ahhh, these two. The evolved form of Nicholas Spark's A Walk to Remember. Well, maybe not an evolved form, just a little close to it. Either way, I cried over both couples, too many tears for one sitting. One of the main reasons why I like this couple is that both of them are both snarky, witty and sarcastic, and yet are too sweet for their own good. The number of times I quoted something they said in the book and movie... Damn. Similar to Carl and Ellie, I envy these two because they didn't let death get the best of them; both of them were very well aware that either of them could drop dead any second. And they still kept on pushing, loving, and... Well that was an unfortunate innuendo.

Annnnd I guess that's it, for now! Seriously, I loved making this list so much. I think this is the kind of content I would put on YouTube when I start vlogging again, and this would probably even be the script I use. If anything, this list just made me realize that most of my OTPs are not canon; therefore, I actually had a really hard time coming up with this list. 

As a consolation, here are some of the pairings I would have put on here, if they weren't lacking in criteria:
  • Hyuga Neji & Tenten, Naruto - not canon, lacks evidence
  • Greg Sanders & Morgan Brody, CSI - lacks evidence
  • Harry Potter & Ginevra Weasley, Harry Potter - not intense enough
  • Troy Bolton & Gabriella Montez, High School Musical - Would probably be on a 'part two' list
  • Jack Skellington & Sally, The Nightmare Before Christmas - Would probably be on a part two list, not intense enough
  • Fa Mulan & General Li Shang, Mulan - Would probably be on a part two list. 

Comments

Popular Posts