Word for the Day: Cacoethes

Cacoethes: (n) an irresistible urge to do something inadvisable. 

There are so many things I would have done by now if people hadn't told me not to do them. I mean it. These things range from things that would actually have good effects, to things that well... let's just say I was smart not to do them. We probably do have all those moments; those decisions that will eventually decide what we become in the future.

I became a class president in Grade 5 despite being told to 'blend in' for a while. I spent hours in the Guidance office because I was more comfortable hanging out with the counselor than my classmates at the time. I started becoming friends with guys instead of girls, despite people telling me at the time that it might give the wrong idea.

I kept on swimming during a 6.5 kilometer open water competition when others told me I should rest. 3 hours and 15 minutes later, I emerged as a more confident human being. I made decisions I shouldn't have, lied when I could have just as easily told the truth, and found myself in situations people warned me about. I gave my heart away when people said I shouldn't have. I made friends with people I was told not to interact with, but had the time of my life, anyway.

I enrolled in a course people told me would be worthless. I became leader of a thesis group with a topic people told me not to do. I started one of the best journeys of my life despite people telling me I wouldn't be up to the task; and I haven't regretted a day of it since. I held on when I should have let go, and I let go when I should have held on.

It would be safe to say that there are so many other things I've done in my life that are inadvisable - but I don't doubt that I will continue to do them.

There's just too much fun in it; because life is the best roller coaster one can be on.

Comments

Popular Posts